WeTek Community Forum

[ROM] [WeOS 1.3 BASED] Android TV v1.1

ricardopvzricardopvz Posts: 467Developers

WARNING!!!
This is a Custom ROM,
it is not officially supported by WeTek nor Google.
If something bad happens, nor me nor WeTek is responsible and you will probably loose your warranty!

That being said, I've been running this without any problems and this box is very easy to unbrick.

Android TV for WeTek Play 2

Features:
  • HD Audio passthrough is working for Android apps like Netflix, Plex and others (see the audio passthrough note below)
  • 5.1 audio in Netflix
  • Can run TvHeadend (read more on that in the note below)
  • Custom Live Channels app (aka TV)
    • Ability to choose source independently
    • Supports internal tuner (ATSC not tested)
    • You can sort, change numbering, create bouquets, apply category, etc
    • Channel logos with channel name (read more below)
    • Recents key opens the app (AndroidTV doesn't support recent apps)
  • Timeshift backported from Android Marshmallow (uses the same location as WeTv)
  • DVR backported from Android Nougat (Google still has to finish implementing it in Live Channels)
  • Voice search works with usb mic's and the Android TV remote app (Android, iOS)
  • SPMC included in favor of WePlayer
  • WeTv web interface is on port 8181 to not interfere with SPMC Android TV integration (check more about that here)
  • WeTek Core Remote works out of the box, including the mic
  • Sideload Launcher included
  • Power button on the bottom of the launcher
  • Can start apps on boot
  • Supports USB microphones
Not working:
  • Google Cast (and probably never will)

Audio Passthrough (this only applies to normal android apps, not Kodi which already has HD Audio passthrough even in stock ROM):
In HDMI mode, it works with AC3, DTS, EAC3 (untested), DTS-HD gets downgraded to DTS because I don't have a compatible receiver to test. More DTS type formats may be supported but will be downgraded to DTS because Android doesn't support them.
Is SPDIF mode, it works with AC3, DTS, EAC3 (gets downgraded to AC3), DTS-HD (gets downgraded to DTS). More DTS type formats may be supported but will be downgraded to DTS because Android doesn't support them.

Channel Logos
Channel logos go on /sdcard/ChannelsData/Logos and the take the form <channel name>.png. If the channel name contains a "/", you can use a "_" in the file name.
The file name is case-sensitive!

TvHeadend
TvHeadend is supported since v1.1
To install it, flash this zip file
https://mega.nz/#!Z94BXSrb!IhERbSpYgE3D8aORe-gulYnAdi2aNDpSsaopCrQ-1_g in the recovery.
Note that WeTv and "WeTek TV" source in TV app WILL STOP WORKING !!
You will need to use the "TvHeadend for Live Channels" app (available on the play store, but is in beta, so expect bugs) or use Kodi as a frontend.
TvHeadend runs on boot on the default port (9981)
It is also automatically restarted in the event that it crashes
USB tuners are not yet supported

Screenshots:

Changelog:
v1.0
- Initial release

v1.1
- When a new update is available, it will show in the recommended section (you still need to update manually)
- Added power button to the launcher
- Added start apps on boot. Go to Settings > ROM Settings
- Added an option to create a bouquet with channels of the same network id
- Added TvHeadend (read the TvHeadend notes above)
- Replaced Play Music with the AndroidTV version
- WePlayer replaced with SPMC on new installations (with factory reset)
- Fixed Netflix not working for some
- Fixed TV app guide sometimes defaulting to "All channels" bouquet
- Fixed DD+ audio on Android apps making playback stop (eg Plex) or audio stop (eg Netflix)
- Fixed DD and DTS audio crackling
- Fixed device not daydreaming
- Core's remote MIC button now does in-app search in supported apps (eg Netflix)

Download: https://mega.nz/#F!5hIDxKqD!ydJgA5GoNg128SK8NLwg2A
Download the zip, put in an sdcard, go to recovery and flash it.
Dual boot will still work
First boot will take some time, do not worry

If you come from the stock ROM, make a factory reset in the recovery before flashing or you may have problems

Recommended: Android TV Remote app (Android, iOS)

Donations: Paypal

Thanks to:
@wrxtasy for extensive testing, features suggestions and teasing this ROM on the Kodi forums
@ChristianTroy for helping me the the audio input department (usb mic and remote app mic) and providing the binaries
@the_ripper For compiling the proprietary tuner drivers and for helping me troubleshooting kernel issues

Comments

• wrxtasywrxtasy Posts: 1,221WeTek Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks goes to you Ricardo, my friend for this excellent ROM. I'm just the test guinea pig ! :)

To Enter Android Recovery:
    • Android Main Screen > Bottom Left set of icons > Select power > Reboot > make sure Recovery is Selected > OK
    • Remember to do a Factory Reset before installing this ROM. I also Wipe Cache's just for the heck of it.
    • Then install this ATV OS ROM.zip file on that same Recovery screen, from a SD card or USB Stick (udisk)
    After installing the ATV OS ROM.zip, and rebooting.
    It will take approximately 4-5 minutes until the first Configuration screen appears. Just be patient.

Koying's SPMC (Kodi fork) with Google Voice Search integration:
    • Easiest method: makes sure you are logged into the Google Play Store on the Play2, then on a PC/Mac click HERE and install. SPMC will Auto download and Popup on the ATV Home Screen.
    • OR
    • Download latest SPMC v16.4.2 from HERE
    • Save to a USB / SD card, insert, and then select Sideload / Launcher on ATV OS icon.
    • Use the File Manager to install the SPMC .app
    • Scrape your media library & when complete simply voice search for a Movie Title, Actor, Director etc... (long press the Mic button)
    NOTE: SPMC has to be up and running for its voice search to work. So restart it after every reboot. Then press the back button twice on the remote to minimise the App.
    You also have to use SPMC only for Kodi ATV OS media recommendations and Voice Search. No other versions.

File Manager and Chrome Browser from the ATV home page:
    Sideload these .apk's with the File manager App:
    Netflix 24p Autoswitch - 5.1 Audio Tips:
    Android Settings:
    • Display > Screen Resolution > Automatic Refresh Rate > Level 2
    • Sometimes Netflix will fail to resume a Movie. You will have to "Play from Beginning" and FFWD to the last resume point.

ATV OS Home Screen Tips:
    • Long press the remote's middle (OK) button over any App Icon to enter the ATV's icon editing function.
    • App positions can then be rearranged and some non system Apps even deleted from here.
    • Android Settings > Home Screen > can be use to rearrange and also Hide App Recommendations that display on the Home Screen.

To Access Time Shifting in Live Channels App (TV):
    • Timeshift starts as soon as you zap into a channel.
    • Simple method, just press Play/Pause (31) Rewind/Forward on the remote control.
    • OR
    • Press the Remote control's Menu Button (7) whilst watching Live TV.
    The Recent Channels - Mini Menu Pops Up > Press Up > and you can Pause, Timeshift, FFWD, RWD all you want. Not sure of the Size of the timeshift buffer, but its probably 30 minutes at least.

For recording you need to use the WeTV App.

• MasterChief117MasterChief117 Posts: 3,707Administrator - WeTek Community Manager
    Congrats Ricardo!

Tested it before and loved it.

Anything you need, I'm here :)

Best Regards

• NeoDelaNeoDela Posts: 34WeTek Community Member
    @ricardopvz
    @wrxtasy
    @ChristianTroy

Thank you for your great work. When E2 was not build for Play2 ...I was already disappointed.
    Just asking...Will WetekPlay1 have Android TV?

Best Regards
  • zbigzbig20zbigzbig20 Posts: 942WeTek Community Member
    Very very good job :-) now waiting for new wetek ota with many improvements and fixes and @ricardopvz can update his great rom :-)
    Best regards
  • cybecybe Posts: 15WeTek Community Member
    do i have to use weUpdate app and choose the zip file from SDCARD or do i have to use another recovery method to install this ROM?
  • zbigzbig20zbigzbig20 Posts: 942WeTek Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Just enter to recovery and install zip from there and wipe all data
    @NeoDela , I think rather no. It is now little bit out of date hardware box
    edited October 2016
    sorry for this Censure question. how to enter recovery? can't find instructions for the play2. is it the procedure provided in this video for the wetek play?:
    edited October 2016
    To Enter Android Recovery:

Android Main Screen > Bottom Left set of icons > Select power > Reboot > make sure Recovery is Selected > OK

Remember to do a Factory Reset before installing this ROM. I also Wipe Cache's just for the heck of it.

Then install this ATV OS ROM.zip file on that same Recovery screen, from a SD card or USB Stick (Udisk)
  • zarbzarb Posts: 32WeTek Community Member
    Tanks Ricardo i try this weekend, congratulations for your`s experties.
    edited October 2016
    @zbigzbig20, personally I would not wait for WeOS 1.4 as Ricardo has done a bunch of very good work under the Hood to improve what is already in WeOS 1.3.

Android TV Live Channels integration with the WeTV App is really nice, a proper Grid EPG, Audio fixes... the list goes on....
    Just install it and you will see what I mean.
    edited October 2016
    wrxtasy said:

Android Main Screen > Bottom Left set of icons > Select power > Reboot > make sure Recovery is Selected > OK

Remember to do a Factory Reset before installing this ROM. I also Wipe Cache's just for the heck of it.

thank you wrxtasy for your help.
    Factory Reset is done in More Settings by cleaning all user and app data? i've done this 5 minutes ago and rebooted clean system. so is it safe to start the recovery process now?
  • ozkaradagozkaradag Posts: 590WeTek Community Member
    Congrats Ricardo Mate.

Thanks.

Sincerelly...
    edited October 2016
    @cybe, you could have done it all in one Hit on the recovery screen itself.
    Factory Reset and then install the ATV OS ROM.zip from that same screen from a Ext SD card or USB UDisk...

Reboot to recovery and Install, You are good to Go.

BTW Everybody:
    After installing the ATV OS ROM.zip, and rebooting.
    It will take approximately 4-5 minutes until the first Configuration screen appears. Just be patient.
  • NeoDelaNeoDela Posts: 34WeTek Community Member

Just enter to recovery and install zip from there and wipe all data

@NeoDela , I think rather no. It is now little bit out of date hardware box

@zbigzbig20
    ya...have thought so...but it will be a perfect box if it does happen :p ...no need for dual boot.
    I owned both wetekplay & wetekplay2 . My importance are the channels sorting and numbering.
    @wrxtasy
    thank you again. did not realize the recovery option in the power menu. it's easy to do this all now. i did not want to do something wrong and brick my play2. installed the ROM now and waiting for the configuration screen to appear on the screen. :wink:

And thank you for testing this ROM and your hints.

@ricardopvz
    thank you for your great work and releasing your ROM.
  • QuadbeatQuadbeat Posts: 188WeTek Community Member
    I think density is too big for scanning channels Menu, and should be reduced from 320 to 260 in build.prop to have full menu visible.
  • ricardopvzricardopvz Posts: 467Developers
    edited October 2016
    Quadbeat said:

I think density is too big for scanning channels Menu, and should be reduced from 320 to 260 in build.prop to have full menu visible.

I know, but Android TV uses 320 by default. Still, some things look bigger than they should. The launcher for example, if you compare it to ATV screenshot, you'll notice it is a bit bigger.
    I have no clue as why this is happening.
    And if I decrese the dpi, the channel banner on TV app will not be centered
    edited October 2016
    You then have Live Channels OSD Banner alignment issues when even a 280 density is used. The Live Channels Grid EPG text is also then a bit too small.

Once Channels are scanned in WeTV App there is really no need to even use that App again, unless you are going to Record. And even then I don't think recording is working properly with WeTV.

I have not even touched the WeTV App after initial channel scanning. Editing, sorting and organising everything in the Live Channels helper App Ricardo has written. There is some smart programming here under the hood that makes channels a lot easier to manage too.

Personally I don't think there will be much user use of the WeTV App going forward with this ROM. You don't need it as Ricardo's modded ATV OS Live Channels will take over completely, especially when used with a more fully functional alternative PVR server. ;)

• QuadbeatQuadbeat Posts: 188WeTek Community Member
    I think Ricardo with wetek devs can make possible scanning done completely out of WeTV
    edited October 2016
    Quadbeat said:

I think Ricardo with wetek devs can make possible scanning done completely out of WeTV

I can actually make it without their help, it's not hard but takes some work.
    Anyway, I have a better plan for the next versions. ( @wrxtasy knows what it is )
    Yes a much better plan, cannot wait ;)
  • hokuspokuzzhokuspokuzz Posts: 207WeTek Community Member
    edited October 2016
    @ricardopvz very nice, thanks for your work . will test this tonight.

@wrxtasy @ricardopvz

question, recording does not work properly or does it? and what about timeshift? and are these possible through android live tv, or do i have to launch the we tv app for this?
    edited October 2016
    To Access Time Shifting in Live Channels App (TV):

Simple method, just press Play/Pause (31) on the remote control or...

Press the Remote control's Menu Button (7) whilst watching Live TV.

The Recent Channels - Mini Menu Pops Up > Press Up > and you can Pause, Timeshift, FFWD, RWD all you want. Not sure of the Size of the timeshift buffer, but its probably 30 minutes at least.

For recording you need to use the WeTV App.

edited October 2016
    You can also use the play/pause/rewind/forward buttons on the remote for timeshift.
    Timeshift starts as soon as you zap into a channel. That way you can go back to rewatch something.
    I don't know what the buffer duration is, but it's the same as WeTv.

And as I said in the features list, Live Channels has DVR and works, but it's disabled because Google still hasn't implemented it fully. Maybe I'll need to fully implement it myself. Let's see.
  • paulsobralpaulsobral Posts: 81WeTek Community Member
    Alright, let´s flash it today..!!
    One question, in case i want to revert to stock rom, whats the procedure?
    edited October 2016

You go to the stock rom thread, download the zip and flash in the recovery like you do with this one.
    To go into recovery, you either use the button in the bottom of the box or you long press the power button, then select reboot -> recovery
  • shadshad Posts: 95WeTek Community Member

You can also use the play/pause/rewind/forward buttons on the remote for timeshift.
    Timeshift starts as soon as you zap into a channel. That way you can go back to rewatch something.
    I don't know what the buffer duration is, but it's the same as WeTv.[...]

Hm, sounds like "permanent timeshift" functionality on TV-Receivers... Is there an option to turn it off? For me personally it would be enough just to press pause/play for timeshift when it's needed (which happens seldom enough), so there is no need to have the USB HDD running all the time.

If the timeshift buffer of the Play2 can be on internal memory or SDcard (is this possible?), it would be less dramatic, but still not necessary.

I don't have a Play2 yet, still evaluating everything and this functionality does play a role too, so I thought I would ask.
  • paulsobralpaulsobral Posts: 81WeTek Community Member

You go to the stock rom thread, download the zip and flash in the recovery like you do with this one.
    To go into recovery, you either use the button in the bottom of the box or you long press the power button, then select reboot -> recovery
    Obrigado e parabéns pelo teu trabalho!!
    shad said:

I don't know what the buffer duration is, but it's the same as WeTv.[...]

Hm, sounds like "permanent timeshift" functionality on TV-Receivers... Is there an option to turn it off? For me personally it would be enough just to press pause/play for timeshift when it's needed (which happens seldom enough), so there is no need to have the USB HDD running all the time.

If the timeshift buffer of the Play2 can be on internal memory or SDcard (is this possible?), it would be less dramatic, but still not necessary.

I don't have a Play2 yet, still evaluating everything and this functionality does play a role too, so I thought I would ask.
    I may add a toggle in the configs so you can select the timeshift type.
    By default it uses internal memory to store the buffer.
  • JJ-KwiKJJ-KwiK Posts: 265WeTek Community Member
    Awesome, thanks for the release man. You should be accepting donations. ;)