WeTek Community Forum

Wetek play 2 random freezes

maicragmaicrag Posts: 7WeTek Community Member
Hi all,

I have a Wetek Play 2 DVB-C/T2 since some weeks ago and I have aleatory freezes of the device quite frequently.

The only pattern I observed is that, after the device freeze the probability of the device to freeze again is higher after immediate reboot it. It usually freezes after a sort time since it finished the OS load, always with the home screen already loaded, and usually after move the focus among the application icons or menu options. But it may freeze in any other moment (sometimes I forgot to turn off the device and after some hours I realize it is on and freezed). It has never freeze while playing any video or in the TV application.

Once the UI interface gets frozen, I lost completely any possible interaction with it. It doesn’t answer to remote control actions (even power off), I can’t do anything with a mouse connected to USB, if I’m connected through telnet I lost the connection. The only thing I can't do is to unplug the power and connect it again, which is quite annoying.

I was hoping the problem was caused for unstable software, but after two updates it continue with the same behavior.

I even tested with a LibreELEC on SD card and it freezed too randomly, which makes me think that there is some hardware problem.

I haven’t see anything strange in logcat traces, and my knowledge isn’t enough to understand the tombstone files generated after each freeze. Please, if you can indicate which information/files I should provide in order to diagnose the problem I’ll provide the info ASAP.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• ThrallThrall Posts: 3,321WeTek Support Team
    Please contact the direct support @ www.wetek.com/contact
    and record a video reproducing this error to send to them.

Best Regards

• itomicitomic Posts: 47WeTek Community Member
    Have you had any progress with this issue, maicraig? I'm experiencing exactly the same issue as you, with the same single solution - pull out the power cable and plug it back in.

There's no obvious pattern or trigger than I'm prepared to report at this stage. It feels like it's completely random. :/

Very happy to supply whatever logs anyone needs - just point me in the right direction.

Thx.
    edited December 2016
    Hi @itomic

Make sure your unit has nothing on the sides stopping the ventilation, not placed under or above another running devices that can produce extra heat to your device.

You can also try a clean install with this file. If you haven't already installed the new repack of the v.1.4.
    This had some changes with the Play2 stability regarding the original v1.4

https://mega.nz/#F!FhxFWK4L!eHAcF3eA44bWGcOpUka6qw

If you download as ZIP file extract it until you get 4 files listed like this
    - DB-J196-wetekplay2-master-ota-2016-11-02_19-27-03
    - dtb
    - factory_update_param
    - recovery

Copy the files above to a formatted SDcard.

You can use this tool to format your SDcard
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

After the SDcard is formatted

- Copy the 4 files you downloaded into the SDcard
    - Insert the SDcard with the files into your WeTek Play 2
    - Disconnect your power supply.
    - Press the update button underneath your device with the update nail provided in your purchase
    - While pressing, connect your power supply now
    - Keep pressing the button for 10 more seconds.

After 10 seconds you can release it, and the new installation will start.Be aware this will erase all your data.

You can follow this video to help you apply the steps mentioned above.
    http://tutorials.wetek.com/tutorial/9

After this, run only factory applications that comes with your device, see if the performance is stable.
    If your device seems to not be freezing anymore, you can start installing and running one app at time.

If your device still freeze, you can contact the direct support @ http://wetek.com/contact

You can link this thread to give information in advance.

Best Regards

• jeljel Posts: 29WeTek Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Our Play 2 has been freezing up, requiring me to unplug the power to get it to respond. I think it happened when using the WePlayer, app - not actually during playback but while going through the menus. I also noticed several times when I was moving the unit to get access to the power plug the screen would flicker, and one time the screen was green so I tried a different hdmi cable. but now I plan on downloading the clean install zip to see if that helps. I doubt it is heat related because we really have not been using it that often and most times it was within a few minutes of booting up.

On edit: This is frustrating "The SD Card Formatter was created specifically for memory cards using the SD/SDHC/SDXC standards." Not a word on the web page concerning linux, or how the card is to be formatted.
    You can use the windows tool for formatter if this tool does not suit to you.

Best Regards

• jeljel Posts: 29WeTek Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Sorry, I use linux not windows

" It is strongly recommended to use the SD Card Formatter instead of formatting utilities provided with operating systems that format various types of storage media. Using generic formatting utilities may result in less than optimal performance for your memory card"
    edited December 2016
    You can use a linux tool or the linux terminal to format your SDcard.

Best Regards

• sir_brickalotsir_brickalot Posts: 89WeTek Community Member
    A new Play 2 user here: I just experienced a freeze after a night of standby/idleing. Had to pull the plug.
    This happened to me almost every morning with the Wetek Kodi device and I'm wondering if this is a general bug in Android TV.
  • mrgiggsy11mrgiggsy11 Posts: 254WeTek Community Member
    Are you running weos 1.4? If yes it is better to downgrade to v 1.3 it is way more stable!
  • goretexgoretex Posts: 3WeTek Community Member
    Hi i also have the Play2 and I too experienced random freeze while using WePlayer.
    I haven't updated to 1.4 but should I to solve the random freeze?
    I am also thinking about running LibreElec... ?
    Just very frustrating as there are no clear pattern for the freeze and thought the Play2 would be great...
    Please advise...
  • NedScottNedScott Posts: 1,123WeTek Community Member
    goretex said:

Hi i also have the Play2 and I too experienced random freeze while using WePlayer.

I haven't updated to 1.4 but should I to solve the random freeze?

I am also thinking about running LibreElec... ?

Just very frustrating as there are no clear pattern for the freeze and thought the Play2 would be great...

Please advise...

Have you tried the steps outlined here? http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/46419/#Comment_46419

As stated there, if it still happens after trying all of that, please contact us at support and we will see what we can do.

former WeTek Support team member, now just a friendly volunteer.