WeTek Community Forum

WeTek Core OS v1.2 released by OTA update

MC117MC117 Posts: 3,707Administrator - WeTek Community Manager
edited July 2016 in WeTek Builds/ROMs/Updates

We're proud to announce that we start seeding the OTA update of WeTek Core OS v1.2

Changelog:

* Fixed the issues with some HEVC videos that were causing pixellation.

* Add "Simulated Wi-Fi".

* Automatic refresh rate matching the FPS of the video that is being played.

* Removed “soft reboot” that was causing connectivity issues (like the old uboot with suspension).

* Updated the prebuilts.

* Cosmetic changes to the launcher plus the possibility of launching apps using the leanback intent by long pressing the app drawer.

* Enhancements to avoid some possible crash under certain circumstances.

* Various fixes in Android and Kernel.

On the update, i advise to disconnect the HDD's.

After installing, i always recommend a reboot on WeTek Core.

For those who want to make a fresh installation, you can find the build here:

https://mega.nz/#F!vgFSEQzA!ewqJA838F4BP5QRVpPBRDw

Best regards
MC117

Comments

• JJ-KwiKJJ-KwiK Posts: 265WeTek Community Member
    I just updated. Everything seems good. Great new features.

I'm not a huge fan of the new look to the launcher. Could we possibly get an option in the launcher settings to, "revert back to classic look/layout"? I have a backup of the original launcher from a few updates back, so it's not a deal breaker.

I'll definitely be making use of the new simulated wifi feature.

Keep the updates coming.
  • MC117MC117 Posts: 3,707Administrator - WeTek Community Manager
    I'll pass the message to the developers.

But I don't think it's possible.

Best regards

• ssh_errorssh_error Posts: 82WeTek Community Member
    edited May 2016
    JJ-KwiK said:

I just updated. Everything seems good. Great new features.

I'm not a huge fan of the new look to the launcher. Could we possibly get an option in the launcher settings to, "revert back to classic look/layout"? I have a backup of the original launcher from a few updates back, so it's not a deal breaker.

I'll definitely be making use of the new simulated wifi feature.

Keep the updates coming.

It reminds me of OSMC, but I do like the new look!
  • irishgrumpyirishgrumpy Posts: 83WeTek Community Member
    Update went fine. Maybe i'm missing something, but only difference to home page I can see is more vivid and change of colours!!!!!!!

I am sure there is a lot I cannot see behind the scenes.... :) :)

What is, and dose the "the similated wi-fi feature" do? :*
  • mach1mach1 Posts: 737WeTek Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Works fine thanks guys

What is, and dose the "the similated wi-fi feature" do? :*

Annoyingly, some Android video apps will only run if you have wifii connected even if your Core is connect via ethernet. The simulated wifi "tricks" the apps into thinking you are connected to wifi even though you're really plugged in via ethernet!
  • WitzWitz Posts: 5WeTek Community Member
    New user here, just working out issues with apps got a new wifi router and then I see this update. Only trouble is the update has been going for hour. The download took maybe 20 mins. So the install has been going for 40 mins is this normal? Most android devices I've updated don't take more than 30 minutes.
    Well 2 plus hours in. I saw the update was a large 500mb, but still now I am wondering what kind of damage it will do if i have to unplug it. The cpu usage has been elevated around 4 up to 5 at one point when i checked on it. I just happened to have cpu usage left on for observation & troubleshooting. I did the update OTA over wifi in case that is important. I had just uninstalled netflix & hbogo and run cleanmaster. The only mod I had installed was the one for the mic to work in other apps.
    If i have to unplug it will it brick it? Or will I just have to factory reset and try again. Getting this box to work right has turned into a chore. At least the updates look frequent so I guess it is being worked on.
  • wrxtasywrxtasy Posts: 1,221WeTek Community Member
    Just download the .zip file, put it on a USB stick and then hit the Power Icon, bottom left and Reboot to Recovery.
    The you go into Apply update from Ext > Update from U-Disk > WeTek.update.file.zip

Reboot and let the Core run through its Optimisation routines. Takes about 4-5 minutes. :smiley:
    Well the OTA update finally gave a message about not being able to move the downloaded file to mSD card because I didn't have one in since I didn't think it was needed for the auto OTA update. I also thought the manual update required a mSD card and won't work from a USB stick. I can't believe it would have run out of space, but I guess it explains the slow install.

I think Wetek needs some more thorough documentation for noobs, I keep thinking I understand what to do and missing things. I have rooted and modded a few android devices so I am used to these issues, but I expected this device to be easier to use out of the box. I also realize most of the issues are with 3rd party apps so once again props to wetek for working on the issues with these updates.
    edited May 2016
    wrxtasy said:

Just download the .zip file, put it on a USB stick and then hit the Power Icon, bottom left and Reboot to Recovery.
    The you go into Apply update from Ext > Update from U-Disk > WeTek.update.file.zip

Reboot and let the Core run through its Optimisation routines. Takes about 4-5 minutes. :smiley:

I found that this didn't work for me. I had to extract the Wetek-OTA-XXXX.zip file (I forgot what it's called) and copy this zip file to the SD card. The manual update then worked perfectly.
  • irishgrumpyirishgrumpy Posts: 83WeTek Community Member
    @ssh-error, thanks for explanation... :)

@Witz. I am kinda a noob too, but i had no issues downloading update.

If you are using a new router and had no issues before, first thing I would check is router and it's speed.......... :/
  • WhoAmIWhoAmI Posts: 124WeTek Community Member
    Do you need an sd card in to do the OTA update? I'm currently on OS 1.1.2 which was installed on my new Core bought recently. My sd card has the Openelec files on it as I primarily use Openelec (only booting into Android on the odd occasion if I need use of an Android app). I thought after 1.1.2 all updates were to be handled ota with a card?

Regards
    Rob.
    No need for mSD card.

Best regards

• WhoAmIWhoAmI Posts: 124WeTek Community Member
    Thanks for the speedy reply @MasterChief117
    Much appreciated.
    Rob.
  • digitaligordigitaligor Posts: 6WeTek Community Member
    What's the situation with the Netflix app? Still frame-skipping/stuttering like before?
    I have the same experience on Core that I have on PS4 or Xbox One.

Sometimes on the consoles I have worst experience that on Core...

Best regards

• toothfairytoothfairy Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    Did an OTA update last night and everything went well, thanks for the work you's do.

Did an OTA update last night and everything went well, thanks for the work you's do.

Thank you very much for the kind words
    Enjoy you're device

Best regards

well my core restarted the update process and downloaded the update overnight again and was off this morning. It still did not work though.

I will try the manual update with a USB stick and go get a micro SD since I need one for it anyway.

I am curious why it took so long and errored the first and second time though.
    I just got this core with 1.1.2 on it and had it plugged in to the ethernet then figured out that is why HBOGO was not working so I got a wifi router it's only an N but it is setting next to the core so it seems to run fast I have 25/3, so the 500MB download only takes several minutes or so.

@irishgrumpy I think the download is working ok and I assume that like most android systems the update process auto error checks with MD5/SHA etc. before install.

Actually I don't see any MD5/SHA hashes for the manual downloads?

So far manual downloads seem to be just sitting in queue on the mega.nz servers, but I assume thats normal as well.

If there are any error logs I should send for debugging just let me know.
    Oh maybe the core has automatic bug reporting? Isn't that a standard android feature now?
    With WeTek OS 1.2 you have the simulated WiFi, so you can use the ethernet cable as a WiFi connection.

The manual update is on MEGA so we can have it public, otherwise is in our servers.

Best regards

• RobyRoby Posts: 14WeTek Community Member
    Thanks for the update, at the moment I can't run it, it tells me I am low in memory, very strange as I have not installed any additional soft... :(
  • ChristianTroyChristianTroy Posts: 1,913WeTek Community Member, Developers
    Roby you need ~500MB of space in /data partition (which includes the internal storage) to download the OTA. If you don't have enough space you have to perform a manual installation like explained in the previous page.
    Roby said:

Thanks for the update, at the moment I can't run it, it tells me I am low in memory, very strange as I have not installed any additional soft... :(

The update?

Check if you don't have any BIG cache on apps...

I have 2GB of cache on my Kodi for example

Use one of those playstore apps to clean out the cache, or update it using a mSD card

Best regards

Thanks Christian and Master, I have a quite large movie/music database on Wetek player, will try first to clean the cache, I'm thinking about to add a fast external sd and move the Wetek player over it by using the android option "move to sd card", is it something feasible ?
    I don't think it's possible to move it to mSD/HDD

Only if you use those apps from Link2SD, maybe this will work

But you can check this from Kodi: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Change_data_location_for_Android

Data location would probably solve the issue, thanks MC, will try this setup after update ;-)
    I successfully did the manual update from a USB stick. Then inserted a new microSD I got after for future use. The update looks good and I was able to use HBOGO so I assume Netflix will work too, but haven't had time to test it yet. All this was over wifi still. I am interested in testing the Wifi simulator yet as well.
    @Roby Let me know how it went

@Witz Glad it's working good
    Netflix will work also within issues.

Best regards

• nsomlainsomlai Posts: 35WeTek Community Member
    edited May 2016
    "Automatic refresh rate matching the FPS of the video that is being played."

What app this change refers to? WMP? Kodi was doing this already AFAIK.