WeTek Community Forum

Blank screen - Sometimes

aoxvitaaoxvita Posts: 35WeTek Community Member
Hi lads

I am member on another forum where one of members have issue with this:
So there's a small problem I've come across with my WeTek running OpenELEC.

Sometimes I'll switch my TV on, lets say first thing in the morning and switch to the HDMI channel that the WeTek is plugged in to but the screen is just blank. The TV knows something is still plugged in to it because it doesn't give me a 'No Signal' message on that channel, the screen is just simply blank.
Pressing any buttons on the WeTek remote doesn't help at all.
To, possibly, add to the confusion, when this happens I am still able to access the WeTek via a web browser (TVHeadend Web GUI) as well as via SSH. Any scheduled recordings also appear to record fine. This happened yesterday evening whilst a recording was scheduled to happen and I was able to login to the TVHeadend Web GUI and watch the recording file size increasing accordingly.

Yesterday I switched off the HDMI-CEC function of my TV to see if this solved the problem but today the same thing happened.

I was originally running OpenELEC from a MicroSD card. When I noticed this problem happening a couple of times I installed OpenELEC to the WeTek NAND to see if it solved the problem, unfortunately it hasn't solved it.

I have now tried disabling the OpenELEC screensaver option (which was set to Dim after 3 minutes). I've only just made this change so I don't know if it's solved the problem or not but to be honest I can't see that it will do.

It seems as though something is going to sleep in the WeTek and not waking back up but I don't know what.

It may also be worth mentioning that occasionally the screen will go blank for a couple of seconds whilst we're in the middle of watching something but then it does come back again.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to sort this? Or has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• codesnakecodesnake Posts: 744WeTek Community Member, Developers
    Re: Blank screen - Sometimes

Hi aoxvita,

It would be good to know what TV model does the guy asking use? Also would be very helpful to look at kernel log (dmesg) after that no signal issue just happened.
  • rot30rot30 Posts: 850WeTek Community Member

Has he tried with another HDMI cable?
    Did he check if the cable correctly connected on both the WeTek Play and the TV?
    Is there anything connected between the TV and his WeTek Play using HDMI?
  • maxonlinemaxonline Posts: 21WeTek Community Member

Sometimes I'll switch my TV on, lets say first thing in the morning and switch to the HDMI channel that the WeTek is plugged in to but the screen is just blank. The TV knows something is still plugged in to it because it doesn't give me a 'No Signal' message on that channel, the screen is just simply blank.
    To, possibly, add to the confusion, when this happens I am still able to access the WeTek via a web browser (TVHeadend Web GUI) as well as via SSH. Any scheduled recordings also appear to record fine. This happened yesterday evening whilst a recording was scheduled to happen and I was able to login to the TVHeadend Web GUI and watch the recording file size increasing accordingly.

+1 every time I'll wake up the TV ( Panasonic TH-42PX7E ) after the player.
    Still able to power off the player via RCU.
    Cabling double checked. Wetek Play directly to the TV via HDMI ( optical cable to AVR )

dmesg at http://sprunge.us/VbjF

This and some other "dangerous sequence" showed at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30
  • AdministratorAdministrator Posts: 355Administrator - WeTek Community Manager, WeTek Community Member
    maxonline wrote:

Cabling double checked. Wetek Play directly to the TV via HDMI ( optical cable to AVR )

Thank You max, we are checking this, will let you know ASAP.
  • jim1985jim1985 Posts: 25WeTek Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm the member from the other forum that aoxvita mentioned.

Just to give you a bit of an update on the situation, things are getting worse. Twice this evening I have switched the TV off for half an hour or so and when I've switched it back on the HDMI channel that the WeTek is on has just been blank, but also I have now been unable to access the WeTek via web browser or even via SSH. It doesn't even allow me to switch it off via it's own remote control, the only option I have had is to pull the power plug out and reinsert it to reboot the WeTek.

My TV model is: LG 55LA620V-ZA
    Software Version of TV: 04.26.05

There is also an HDMI AV Receiver plugged in between the TV and the WeTek

AV Receiver model is: LG BH7420P
    Software Version: BD9.707.00.00.C
    Driver Version: H12IM2S0390
  • aoxvitaaoxvita Posts: 35WeTek Community Member

Here is update with dmesg and koi.log
    I went out a few minutes after posting this topic, the WeTek was working fine up to that point. I've just got back in and it had crashed again, blank screen although this time it wasn't even accessible via web browser or ssh, I had to pull the power out and plug it back in again.
    For what it's worth I'm also using an LG TV, there is also an LG HDMI AV Receiver sitting between the WeTek and the TV.

I'm not using the HDMI cable that came with the device. I'm using the same one I used with my Vu Duo for a couple of years with no problems

cat /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.old.log | pastebinit
    http://sprunge.us/RDij

cat /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | pastebinit
    http://sprunge.us/NCAX

dmesg output:

http://sprunge.us/ZGPc

Do you want to update the thread you created about this on the WeTek forums? Or would you like me to register on there and post it myself?

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a sneaky suspicion that this is still somehow related to a CEC issue. Seeing as how I've disabled CEC from my TV and that hasn't helped, I've discovered how to also switch it off within OpenELEC.

Connect via SSH and issue this command:

Code:
    echo "0" > /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/cec_config

I'll see how I get on now and let you all know

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, left TV and AV Receiver switched off for half an hour. Switched them both back on and I've just got the blank screen again. WeTek has completely crashed again as well, can't access it at all. The remote doesn't even work, can't turn it off any other way other than pulling the power plug out
  • AdministratorAdministrator Posts: 355Administrator - WeTek Community Manager, WeTek Community Member

aoxvita & max,

Thank's to both of You, we are checking now and will try to solve this issue urgently.

Good morning guys,

Another bit of an update, it looks like I may well have solved the issue. I do feel like a bit of an idiot as it seems it may have been my fault :oops:

I checked my CEC settings on the TV again last night before I went to bed and there was a second setting relating to CEC that was still switched on, so I switched it off.

Woke up this morning and switched on the TV, and the WeTek was there ready and waiting for me to use it, it hadn't crashed or anything. Hopefully this has finally sorted the problem :)

I must be more vigilant in the future when checking settings etc

I'll post back and let you know if the problem returns :)

What was the exact setting you had to modify to get everything working, if you don't mind me asking?

Within the 'SimpLink' settings on my TV I had switched off the 'Auto Power' setting but I'd left the 'SimpLink' setting switched on so that I could still control my AV Receiver volume from the TV remote.

Since also switching off the 'SimpLink' setting last everything seems to be fine for now.

As I say, I'll post back on here if the problem reoccurs, but fingers crossed it is fixed now :)
    maxonline wrote:

Do you have any similar CEC features on your TV like jim1985?
    Can't seem to find anything similar in your TV manual.
    Have you tried modifying any CEC settings to see if the problem stops?
    Are you able to use SSH to access the WeTek Play after you switch off the TV and it frezes with the blue LED on?

Unlucky no user configurable options on my TV regarding Viera Link ( CEC ) and no SSH, FileShare or WEB as well, still working on the player. When the issue occur it's totally stuck !

Please could you suggest any CEC setting to play around ?

I only have the manual of your TV but is there an option called "HDAVI Control 2"?
    It might just be called "VIERA remote control" or similar.
    Can you turn it ON/OFF?
    This seems to regulate remote control passthrough.
    What about "Easy playback" and "Speaker control"?

Problem has returned for me.

I have just been on my Playstation 4 for about an hour so had my AV Receiver switched on to HDMI 2 (where the PS4 is plugged in to it)
    Just switched AV Receiver back over to HDMI 1 (where the WeTek is plugged in to it) and I was presented with the blank screen. Also the WeTek had completely frozen up again, wouldn't respond to it's own remote or SSH etc

So I'm at a loss with how to fix this again. Any more suggestions guys?
    rot30 wrote:
    I only have the manual of your TV but is there an option called "HDAVI Control 2"?
    It might just be called "VIERA remote control" or similar.
    Can you turn it ON/OFF?
    This seems to regulate remote control passthrough.
    What about "Easy playback" and "Speaker control"?

I can just disable Viera Link ( CEC ) from TV system menu and yes, as per a quick trial, when I disable Viera Link the Wetek Play work as expect ( no more black screen, freeze, etc. ) ... Obviously, in this case, no more "CEC" features at all even the automatic switch to the player input ( "Easy PlayBack" ) at the player power on :?

"Speaker control" ( will be named "Home Cinema" in Viera Menu ) will be available just in case of "compliant" equipment. Wetek Play is identified as "Other" in Viera menu.
    jim1985 wrote:
    Problem has returned for me.

I have just been on my Playstation 4 for about an hour so had my AV Receiver switched on to HDMI 2 (where the PS4 is plugged in to it)
    Just switched AV Receiver back over to HDMI 1 (where the WeTek is plugged in to it) and I was presented with the blank screen. Also the WeTek had completely frozen up again, wouldn't respond to it's own remote or SSH etc

So I'm at a loss with how to fix this again. Any more suggestions guys?

Hello jim,

We are working on HDMI driver bug to fix it ASAP :) No worry.

Thank you very much for your reply admin.

If you need me to beta test anything at all regarding this problem I'm more than happy to help out :)
    jim1985 wrote:
    Thank you very much for your reply admin.

If you need me to beta test anything at all regarding this problem I'm more than happy to help out :)

Hi Jim1985,

Sure, You will be contacted by PM for any beta-test solution for this issue.

Thank You
  • sebamattssonsebamattsson Posts: 1WeTek Community Member
    Hi, I have the exact same issue as described above. Every time I turn on the TV I have to hard-reset my WP1 because of a blank screen :(
    Could you let me know if the issues were fixed? Can I have the updated HDMI driver as well?

Seb