WeTek Community Forum

[ROM] [Hub] [Marshmallow] Android TV v2.4.1

Comments

• nexiusnexius Posts: 82WeTek Community Member
    Many thanks @froz and @wrxtasy

Netflix came alive again looool
  • nexiusnexius Posts: 82WeTek Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Regarding the line with the apps that is on front screen, how can we add the apps we want? Or delete (not unninstall) others apps that we do not use on a regular basis on that firts screen?
  • verguldebarmanverguldebarman Posts: 5WeTek Community Member

He guys,
    Trying to install this ROM, and also receive error in recovery:

E: footer is wrong
    E: signature verification failed

I'm installing from WEOS3.1.

Checks I already did:
    - Factory reset (of course....)
    - ZIPs are not "incepted".... did a normal download.
    - Retrying download also didn't work
    - Zip for AndroidTV v2.2 and WEOS v3.1 has same issue......
    - used another USB drive, same issue....

:neutral:

Do I need another recovery than stock or should this work?

Any thought/help????

Still stuck installing this great ROM with the above.
    Need help......
  • verguldebarmanverguldebarman Posts: 5WeTek Community Member
    See screenshot with more info on my comment above here.

Guys, please help.....
  • ricardopvzricardopvz Posts: 467Developers
    New update!
    v2.4.1
    - Latest version of Netflix ATV (5.0.2) is now working
    - Fix Netflix stuck after ~10min when using SPDIF or a Non-DD+ compatible receiver
  • TaavioTaavio Posts: 15WeTek Community Member
    @verguldebarman
    Try downloading the zip file again. Be sure that the zip file is not double zipped - there shouldn't be zipped file inside zip file.
  • TheodorTheodor Posts: 126WeTek Community Member
    @ricardopvz Thanks netflix ok now with 5.1 sound very good job.
    Netflix starts in v4.2.1, but does not respect Android resolution setting - it tries to start UHD videos, but ends up in frozen state. If I select 1080p60 in Android settings, shouldnt Netflix NOT offer 4K?

Tried video only available in HD, video started but audio was out of sync and stuttered. Still have feeling that I have too "good" equipment. Wetek>4K LG>Denon HDCP 2.2 HDMI. I'll have a try with older FHD tv and Toslink connected AVR tomorrow.
  • B8350B8350 Posts: 12WeTek Community Member

New update!

v2.4.1
    - Latest version of Netflix ATV (5.0.2) is now working
    - Fix Netflix stuck after ~10min when using SPDIF or a Non-DD+ compatible receiver
    Thanks! Working well here with 5.0.2
    Taavio said:

Netflix starts in v4.2.1, but does not respect Android resolution setting - it tries to start UHD videos, but ends up in frozen state. If I select 1080p60 in Android settings, shouldnt Netflix NOT offer 4K?

Tried video only available in HD, video started but audio was out of sync and stuttered. Still have feeling that I have too "good" equipment. Wetek>4K LG>Denon HDCP 2.2 HDMI. I'll have a try with older FHD tv and Toslink connected AVR tomorrow.

Latest version of Netflix ATV (5.0.2) is now working
  • wrxtasywrxtasy Posts: 1,221WeTek Community Member
    Taavio said:

Go into the inbuilt Google Playstore and simply update the Netflix App to the latest version.

I meant l'm using latest rom version 4.2.1. Netflix is latest from Aptoid - version 5.0.2. Clean install, wiped both data and cache partition before booting up.
    Taavio said:

Like promised, I tested with different TV and AVR. It's possible to watch Netflix with HD TV, but every minute or two, the sound has a microstutter. I've experiencing this with MiBox too, so it might be Netflix related.

Netflix version still 5.0.2, latest ROM. Hardware list:
    Wetek connected to Sony Bravia TV (FHD) via HDMI->Old old Denon AVR via Toslink from TV. Conclusion - older gear works better.

Has anybody tested Netflix with 4K TV so that all signals follow proper HDCP 2.2 path?
    edited December 2017
    Yes 4K Netflix works, BUT there is minor juddering when the camera pans about for some reason that I do not see when viewing 4K Netflix using the Mi Box. So it's not my TV.
    edited December 2017
    To be honest when you subscribe to 4K Netflix, its very hard to tell visually between 1080p and 4K streams on a 4K TV because they both use good HEVC video compression and decent streaming bitrates - yes even for 1080p.

Human eyeballs really have a hard time picking up 1080p / 4K resolution differences when watching a TV from a typical distance away on a lounge.
    Visually it's easier to pick up color and brightness differences which is why HDR10 and DolbyVision have been introduced. HDR is really what you need to make the most of 4K.
    MiBox and 4K are OK for me too most of the time, and to be fair - It's not easy to see the difference between 4K and FHD Netflix, especially sitting almost 4 meters away from 55 inch TV.

But my question really was about Wetek+Netflix on Android TV ROM. Has anybody experienced hardship running Netflix through 4K capable devices? I mean even if I want to force Wetek to show Netflix in Full HD, it somehow defaults back to UHD, as probably Netflix detects on it's own what devices are connected via HDMI? As comparison, setting resolution to Full HD with MiBox, then Netflix does not offer UHD quality, but in Wetek case, it happens.
    wrxtasy said:

Yes 4K Netflix works, BUT there is minor juddering when the camera pans about for some reason that I do not see when viewing 4K Netflix using the Mi Box. So it's not my TV.

@wrxtasy Damn, your eyes......
    There is a difference between Mi Box and my ROM.
    Mi Box uses hardware sync, my ROM doesn't. Instead, the Netflix app does the sync.
    I disabled hardware sync so I could transcode EAC3 to AC3 in software for Non-EAC3 compatible receivers or SPDIF (in case of the Play 2). I think I could have hardware sync and transcode at the same time, but it would take significant work.
    edited December 2017
    I would not worry. 1080p looks good enough to me with stable A/V Netflix streaming and legacy AC3 audio support (which the Mi Box does not have) is very welcome by a bunch of users.

Nice work ! :)
    I wouldn't mind watching stuff in 1080p, but Wetek won't let me in Netflix :smile:

@ricardopvz Is there any difference then, if I use PCM or HDMI Passthrough, when hardware sync is disabled, like you said? Or better yet - in my case, which would you recommend for my hardware setup (4K TV and Denon AVR via ARC)
    @Taavio Doesn't matter if you have PCM or HDMI selected in settings. If the box detects that your AVR (or TV) supports AC3 or EAC3, then it will use passthrough. That selection option in settings is for apps that use the internal android MediaPlayer.

You should be able to connect it however you want. 4K will play if the TV supports HDCP 2.2, independently of the resolution. This is because I'm forcing 4K on Netflix. But yeah, I should not do that and instead check the resolution in settings.
    What kind of problems do you have when connected like Hub <-------> TV <---ARC---> AVR ?
    edited December 2017
    I had 2 problems in Netflix - UHD material didn't start (got stuck at 24% loading and turned Hub unresponsive). FHD material started in good quality, but went out of sync quite bad, picture was jerky and audio stuttered.

I'll test some more tomorrow.
    Taavio said:

I had 2 problems in Netflix - UHD material didn't start (got stuck at 24% loading and turned Hub unresponsive). FHD material started in good quality, but went out of sync quite bad, picture was jerky and audio stuttered.

I'll test some more tomorrow.

I had some more tests Hub<-->Sony 4K TV. Netflix is really unresponsive - pauses can last up to 2 minutes, even while just browsing titles. With some patience, I was able to start FHD title, it played OK and seems that audio was also in sync. But when trying to start UHD title, Netflix came unresponsive after loading to 24%, sometimes even caused Hub to restart. Sometimes it was able to come out of this "coma" and I could browse titles a little and then again, it became frozen. I played around like for half an hour, during this time I only could start 1 FHD video and tried to start 3 UHD videos, rest of the time went for waiting or restarting the Hub.

I don't have these problems while the same Hub is connected to FHD TV. Yes, browsing Netflix titles sometimes is somewhat jumpy, but it never hangs for minutes, max 10 seconds or so. That could be put on 1GB RAM, I guess.

So I have 2 different 4K TVs I can test, and both of them give me unusable experience, in regards of Netflix.
    Well, it seems you already know the cause. Yes, it is due to the 1GB of RAM. It's difficult for the Hub to manage Netflix (4k or FHD as both use HEVC codec, but 4K is specially demanding) with only that amount of RAM.
    Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it.
    Try to kill all the apps you have running and see if it improves.
  • scj643scj643 Posts: 10WeTek Community Member
    I have made custom boot.img that disables some services. I'm planning on making a tool someday that automates this.

Well, it seems you already know the cause. Yes, it is due to the 1GB of RAM. It's difficult for the Hub to manage Netflix (4k or FHD as both use HEVC codec, but 4K is specially demanding) with only that amount of RAM.
    Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it.
    Try to kill all the apps you have running and see if it improves.

Only app running is Netflix. I haven't gone into disabling every background app I can think of, yet. But do 2 minute pauses and Hub restarts really seem OK in case of low memory?
    Anyway - I think Hub would be usable in my case if I could force Netflix to be in "Full HD mode" while connected to 4K equipment. That I can't do at the moment.
    @Taavio Edit the build.prop and find the sys.display-size property and change it to 1920x1080 instead of 3840x2160
    @Taavio, have you tried enabling developer options in Android (click the About > Build 7 times)

In Android Developer options down the bottom there is a Option to limit background processes that should kill minimised Apps more quickly.
    That may help.

A 4K Netflix subscription when used on Android with this hard selected in Android Settings > Display > Screen Resolution > to 1080p60Hz...

Will mostly stream 1080p HEVC encoded Netflix video.
    @ricardopvz Do I need root for that or is there a other way? Using FTP or ADB, the filesystem is read only...

@wrxtasy I'll give it a try. I think I've tried it before, but I'm not sure which ROM it was :)
  • AxelRoAxelRo Posts: 77WeTek Community Member
    Hi, I can not watch Hbo Go Romania, the apk from Aptoide TV is outdated. It tell's me to instal the new apk from Google market but there is no such apk available. Is there any solution?
    @AxelRo
    HBO GO Android TV is in the playstore......